We are named after St John the Evangelist. St John’s gospel is the gospel of love. Christian love is in our minds, on our lips and in our hearts.
The school’s crest contrasts light and dark, right and wrong. The sun represents God the Giver of Life. The sun's rays are the light of Christ shining upon us. The sun is surrounded by boomerang shapes. These are Aboriginal symbols for groups of people.
As a Christian school, we make a point of being open and accepting towards all groups of people. Our Christian sign is the cross. The cross is shown from a perspective point, signifying that we journey together.
We thank Sr Geraldine Kearney for her input into the design of our School Crest.
The school motto of ‘Pax Christi’ reflects the tradition of Australia’s first Archbishop, John Bede Polding, as well as the personal motto of the Bishop of Wollongong, William Murray, under whose patronage the school had its beginning:
Our school motto is “Pax Christi” the peace of Christ. We strive to have peace in our hearts, be peace makers, both within the school and the wider community. Our understanding of the Peace of Christ and its implication for living will have an influence on the world at large and on our lives as individuals.
Our vision is that St John the Evangelist High School will become known as a compassionate and just educational community based on Catholic traditions.
This community will value peace, will promote the growth of the whole person and will be uniquely responsive to the needs of the Shoalhaven and surrounding regions.
Our core values represent what we believe. They are what we stand for and what guide our actions:
- Spirituality – Listening to the Word of God, active and alive within the Catholic Tradition
- Love – living as disciples of Jesus, the Risen Christ
- Justice – transforming our world into the Kingdom, the Reign of God
- Hospitality – an accepting inclusive community built on respect and right relationships with particular care for the marginalised and poor
- Hope – promoting a learning community committed to individual and community excellence
- Compassion – proclaiming the Good News of the Gospels